Smart cars have generated a massive following because of their autonomous capabilities; they are driverless and self-managed. With this range of efficiency, it’s easy to assume that these vehicles are error free.
But just like any other car, Smart vehicles sometimes contain manufacturing faults, which have earned the brand several recalls from its automaker.
You need to know the Smart cars with the highest recalls to help you get the best option when buying a vehicle from the brand.
Smart ForTwo Recalls
The Smart ForTwo offers many beneficial features, one of which is its compact size. Thanks to its portable width of about 65-75 inches, the two-seater easily fits into small parking spaces.
The Smart ForTwo’s interior is also equipped with handy infotainment features that keep passengers from getting bored. It contains a JBL eight-speaker sound system, a CD player, and a Bluetooth streaming tool to help users listen to music stored on their phones.
However, this vehicle has a few shortcomings. The interior of this car is only decent at best. The only outstanding features in the interior of this two-seater are its split tailgate, frameless windows, and multi-color display.
In addition, there are some manufacturing faults in the Smart ForTwo. This is why Daimler, its automaker, has recalled the vehicle several times.
The Smart ForTwo is the vehicle with the highest number of recalls among all Smart cars. Daimler issued about seven recalls for this model. Keep reading to discover the reasons for the ForTwo’s recalls.
- Engine: The rear insulation mat in the engines of certain 2008–2009 Smart ForTwo cars may loosen after a few years of usage. As a result, the insulation mat may collide with the components of the hot exhaust system. A collision between vehicle parts can cause a fire outbreak.
- Parking Brakes: The lock nuts that attach the brake lever to the brake cable in some 2016 Smart ForTwo cars may come loose. Because of this issue, the parking brake lever may disengage from its position before the brakes apply. If the parking brake lever travels too far from its original position, users may be unable to secure the cars when parked.
- Steering: Daimler may have committed some errors while casting some 2017 Smart ForTwo cars. This problem may lead to the failure of the vehicle’s left axle steering knuckles. If the vehicle’s steering is not responsive, the vehicle may lose control. Such cars tend to suffer a collision with other vehicles on the road.
- Headlights: The automaker may have failed to seal the headlight adjustment mechanism of 2016 Smart ForTwo cars. As a result, the headlights may suddenly shift out of place while the vehicle is moving. Drivers who notice the displaced headlights may try to move them to their original position. But if the user adjusts the headlights wrongly, the headlights may not work properly. This may reduce the driver’s visibility when using the vehicle at night.
- Paintwork: While building certain 2008 Smart ForTwo cars, Mercedes Benz received a paint product that failed to match the specifications of the vehicle. As such, the company’s factory had to combine a different set of painting materials to rework the 2008 ForTwo car to an acceptable standard. But the automaker discovered later that the rework materials might make the paint rub off from the car.
- Steering Mounting Bolts: The mounting bolts on the steering gear of some 2014 Smart ForTwo cars may fracture while the vehicle is in use. Broken mounting bolts can affect the handling of a vehicle.
- Service Hatch: When the users of certain 2014–2018 Smart ForTwo cars drive at high speed, the front service hatch may separate from the vehicle. A broken service hatch may fall on the road and cause a collision between drivers.
Smart ForFour Recalls
Despite the efficiency of the Smart ForTwo, it lacked sufficient space to house a family. The Smart ForFour speaks to this flaw by offering an interior that is large enough to fit four passengers.
Buyers can personalize this car. Owners can select their preferred shade for the vehicle from its 40 color options. Likewise, there are several customizable components that owners can choose to attain their dream car.
The automaker recently introduced an upgrade to its Smart ForFour car that has improved its accessibility. Unlike previous versions, the new Smart ForFour’s rear doors are flexible enough for passengers to board the car through them.
Just as the automaker enlarged the vehicle’s rear doors, it has also increased the space in the back seat area of the car. This increment has reduced the trunk to a smaller size than in old versions. Thankfully, the structure of this vehicle allows users to fold the back seat forward when they need extra trunk space.
Another flaw in the Smart ForFour is the high number of production errors in the car. Because of its faults, the vehicle has the second highest number of recalls among Smart cars. Daimler has issued about three recalls for the model.
- Steering: The left front steering knuckle of some 2017 ForFour cars may have inadequate strength. Due to this problem, the knuckle could fracture, leading to a loss of control of the vehicle.
- Brakes: In some 2014-2015 Smart ForFour cars, the braking rope adjustment knob may be weak. This may prolong the brake lever travel. As such, the parking brakes may not provide enough force needed to secure the car when parked.
- Seats: The anchorage on the back seats of certain 2014–2015 ForFour cars may lack adequate strength. During a crash, heavy objects in the trunk may strain the rear seat’s backrest. As a result, the anchorage on the seat might separate from the vehicle, thus causing the backrest to fold forward.
Smart EQ ForTwo
The Smart EQ ForTwo is an autonomous vehicle with various capabilities that promote car sharing. Users call the car with a special mobile device when they need to use it. Once the car is called, it finds the passenger’s location and moves there to collect them.
This vehicle eliminates the need for management. When the energy in the car is low, the car automatically moves to a charging station to recharge itself.
The EQ ForTwo has the third highest number of recalls among Smart cars. The manufacturer issued two recalls for this model.
Thanks to the absence of brake pedals and a steering wheel in the car, owners who are yet to master driving will enjoy using it. Users control the vehicle’s functions with voice input or a mobile device.
That said, the EQ ForTwo is the Smart vehicle with the third highest number of recalls. Mercedes Benz has issued two recalls for the model. The following problems led to the recall of the Smart EQ ForTwo:
- Windscreen: Mercedes Benz may have bonded the windshield with an incorrect adhesive in some 2020 Smart EQ ForTwo vehicles. Due to this issue, the windscreen may detach from the car when an accident occurs. Also, frontal airbags, which are usually supported by the windshield, may get damaged.
- Roof: As time passes, the adhesive bond between the roof frame and roof section may weaken. This may cause the roof to separate from the car, thus increasing the possibility of a collision.