The F-250 is a super duty truck which offers exemplary towing and hauling capabilities.
Despite its size, the F-250 features a comfortable cabin and a superb lighting system for its super duty functions.
In this article, we discuss everything you need to know about F-250 lights.
Which Light Bulbs Sizes and Types Do Ford F-250s Use?
Here are the light bulb sizes and types for the Ford F-250 truck:
Ford F-250 models from 1992 to 2004 with halogen headlights use bulb 9007.
From 2005 to 2016, the Ford F-250 with halogen headlights uses H13; models with sealed-beam headlights use H5054.
For the 2017 to 2020 model years, the F-250 with halogen capsule headlamp and High/Low beam headlights use bulb H13. For models with LED headlights, both high and low headlamps use LED bulbs.
The F-250 uses bulb size 4057k for its taillight from 1992 to 2016. From 2017 to 2020, the taillight of F-250 uses LED bulbs.
The fog light for Ford F-250s from 1999 to 2000 use bulb size 9145 or 9006. From 2001 to 2004, Ford F-250 uses bulb size 9145 for its fog light.
For model years 2005 to 2016, the fog light bulb sizes of the F-250 are 9140/9145/H10. From 2017 to 2020, the F-250 uses fog light bulb size 9140.
Center High Mount Stop Light
From 1992 to 2004, the Ford F-250 center high mount stop light bulb uses bulb size 922. Model years 2005 to 2016 use bulb 912.
From 2017 to 2020, Ford introduced F-250 models with HID lights that use LED bulbs for the center mount stop light.
Check here for the best deals on Ford F-250 light bulbs on Amazon.
How to Turn Off Daytime Running Lights on a Ford F-250?
To turn off the daytime running lights on your F-250, use the information display on your instrument cluster screen. Use the arrow keys on the steering wheel to perform the following functions:
- Go to Settings on the instrument cluster screen and press the OK button on the steering wheel to enter “Settings Menu”.
- Scroll down and select “Advanced Settings” then select “Vehicle”.
- Scroll down to the Daytime Lights option and use the OK button on your steering wheel to select the checkbox. A tick mark on the checkbox means that daytime running lights are set to on; an empty box means they are off.
- Turn the lighting control switch from auto/on position to off.
Ford F-250 Light indicator Symbols Explained
Here are some of the F-250’s light indicator symbols:
- Anti-Lock Braking System: The indicator light shows letters ABS, inside a circle, inside a set of parentheses. The indicator light comes up when there is an issue with your Anti-Lock Braking System. It is advisable to schedule a checkup with your mechanic is the problem persists.
- Brake System: An exclamation point within a circle, within parentheses, means that your brakes are faulty. If this sign comes up, stop your car and contact a professional to check the issue and have it fixed.
- Battery Icon: If an icon that looks like a battery, with positive and negative symbols pops up, that means there is an issue with your battery or an electrical fault. You should have a professional check it out.
- Low Fuel Level Indicator: When a symbol that looks like a gas pump pops up, that means you need a refill.
- Service Engine Soon Indicator: The symbol looks like an engine and it means that your vehicle is due for servicing.
- Low Tire Pressure Indicator: The symbol is an exclamation point within a tire. It means that the pressure in your tires is lower than the recommended standard. If this light comes up while driving, stop to check the tires and get it filled.
- Engine Oil: The indicator light shows a symbol of an oil lamp with a drop of liquid dripping from the spout. It indicates that your engine oil levels are low.
Please also read our article about the Ford F-250 and keys.
How Do You Adjust the Lights on a Ford F-250?
To adjust the headlights on your F-250, follow these steps:
- Move your F-250 as close as possible to a plain wall without touching it and turn off all surrounding lights, leaving the garage as dark as possible.
- Turn your headlights on.
- Grab a tape and make a horizontal tapeline across each of the light beams on the wall.
- Make a vertical tapeline across each of the light beam forming a plus “+” sign on the wall.
- Move your car back by about 25 feet.
- Open the hood and locate the headlight adjuster.
- Adjust the light beam until the beam lands where the tape line intercepts.
Does Ford F-250 Have Automatic Headlamps?
The F-250 has auto head lights.
However, automatic headlights became standard in the most recent model years.
How Do I Turn Off the Lights on a Ford F-250
To turn off the F-250’s lights, turn the light’s rotary knob next to the steering wheel on the left side from auto/on position to off.
How Do I Turn Off the Ford F-250’s Cargo Light?
The cargo lights turn off automatically after 10 minutes or if the vehicle speed exceeds 3 mph.
To turn off the cargo light instantly, press the cargo lights button next to the steering wheel on the left side. It is at the bottom left button next to the light’s rotary knob.
How Does the Auto Light Sensitivity Work?
Automatic headlamps come on whenever it’s dark enough to use them. The auto light does not activate on its own-you must set the light controls to “auto” position for it to come on automatically.
Make sure to also read our article about the Ford F-250 in snow and winter driving.
What Can Cause the Drive Light to Blink?
The flashing light is likely a sign of an electrical issue with the transmission.
Check that the transmission stick shifts normally. If it does, then you might have issues with the wiring.
Can I Use Headlight Covers on a F-250?
You can use headlight covers for an F-250 truck.
A Ford F-250 Super Duty headlight cover assures you of better protection from tree branches, rocks and other threats to your front-end. It’s also a much more cost-effective choice than replacing broken headlights.
Make sure the accessory is street-legal in your area, as many local authorities prohibit their use.
Also read our article about where the Ford F-250 is made.
The Dome/Interior Light Isn’t Working
If the dome light is not working, the first step is to check the bulb, then the dimmer switch.
You can test with an alternative bulb to confirm and check the dimmer switch. If the bulb and dimmer switch are not faulty, the next thing is to check for a faulty fuse.
Ford F-250 Light Sensors Explained
The light sensor of the F-250 is at the center of the dash near the windshield.
It monitors the ambient light and switches on the headlights when the lighting outside reaches a particular threshold.
The sensor switches off the lights if the surrounding is bright.
Do Ford F-250 Have LED Lights?
The Ford F-250 started using LED lights from the 2017 model year. Older models may get LED bulbs as optional equipment.
The Lights Come On But the Car Won’t Start
If your headlights can turn on, but your car won’t start, that means that your battery has some charge, but the charge might not be adequate to operate the starter.
A faulty starter or ignition can also cause this problem.