The Ford Taurus is a popular mid-sized sedan for the early generation, although the recent generation of the Taurus are large cars.
The Taurus is endowed with excellent cabin materials, roomy seats, an enormous trunk, and lots of standard features such as a powerful lighting system.
This article tells you all you need to know about the Taurus’ lighting system.
Which Light Bulb Sizes and Types Does Ford Taurus Use?
Here are the light bulb sizes and types the Ford Taurus uses:
The Ford Taurus from 1999 to 2006 uses bulb 9007 for its high beam and low beam headlights.
From 2008 to 2009, the Taurus uses different bulbs for its high beam and low beam headlights. The high beam uses bulb 9005 while the low beam uses bulb H1.
From 2010 to 2012, the high beam and low beam bulb for halogen headlights use 9005 while high beam and low beam bulb for HID headlights use D3S.
The headlights changed from 2013 to 2019. The high beam and low beam for halogen headlights use 9012 while high beam and low beam for HID headlights use D3S.
Taillight & Brake Light
The Taurus model years from 1999 to 2003 use taillight bulb 3157R. In 2004, Ford changed the taillight bulb to 3057R, which was used until 2006.
From 2008 to 2009, the Taurus taillight bulb is 4157R. For the 2010 to 2012 model years, the upper taillight bulb is 916, while the lower taillight bulb is 3157R.
From 2013 to 2019, Ford changed the Taurus taillight bulb to LED.
Center High Mount Stop Light Bulb
The Taurus 1999 to 2006 models’ center high mount stop light uses bulb number 912. From 2008 to 2010, the center high mount stop light uses bulb number 921.
For the 2011 to 2019 model years, the center high mount stop light uses LED.
The Taurus models from 1999 to 2019 use parking light bulb 3457A.
How to Turn Off Daytime Running Lights On a Ford Taurus?
The Taurus Daytime running light cannot be turned off manually on the Taurus.
To turn off the daytime running lights, contact your dealer to turn them off.
Ford Taurus Light indicator Symbols Explained
Here is a short list of the Ford Taurus’ major light indicator symbols and their meaning:
1. ABS Light: The ABS is an acronym for the anti-lock brake system. This indicator light comes up when there is a problem with the ABS. If the light flashes repeatedly, it’s advisable to contact your dealer to check it out.
2. Low Tire Pressure Warning: The yellow exclamation mark pops up when the tire pressure monitoring system detects a low tire pressure. Pullover carefully and check your tires.
3. Braking System Indicator: The icon for the braking system is the letter “P” embedded in two circles above the word “brake”.
When this indicator light comes on when driving, that means there is an issue with the braking system, therefore, it is highly unsafe to drive. Park your Taurus as soon as possible and contact your dealer to check it out.
4. Engine Oil Indicator symbol: This indicator symbol shows the following:
- Level of the engine oil,
- When engine oil needs to be changed,
- A malfunction with the oil sensor.
If the light pops up while driving, pull over and check your oil level. If your oil is low, top it up. If the oil is at an appropriate level, and the light continues to stay on, it’s possible that the oil sensor is faulty or the oil is due for a change. Contact your dealer.
5. Service Engine Soon: This indicator is a notification of malfunction with the engine emissions system. It can also alert you when the Taurus requires servicing.
Please also read our article about Ford Taurus statistics you should know.
How Do You Adjust the Light on a Ford Taurus?
To adjust the headlight on Ford Taurus, follow these steps:
- Park your Taurus 25 feet away from a plain wall. Make sure the car is at a 90-degree angle to the wall and the ambient light is low.
- Measure the height from the ground to the center of the car’s headlight bulbs.
- Mark a horizontal line 8 inches wide on the wall using masking tape.
- Turn on the headlights and switch off the high beams.
- Observe the light pattern on the marked wall. Then, adjust the headlights to fall at the center of the masking tape if the top of the light beam pattern is above or below the horizontal tape line.
- Open the hood and locate the headlight adjuster by the headlamp assemblies.
- Use a 4-mm wrench to turn the adjuster counterclockwise to raise the headlight beam or clockwise to lower the headlight beam.
- Make sure the upper edge of the beam pattern is on the horizontal tape line.
- Repeat this procedure for each headlight.
- Turn the headlights off, close the hood, and remove the masking tape from the wall.
Does Ford Taurus Have Automatic Headlamps?
The Taurus has automatic headlights.
Note that older models may not have the feature as standard; some years may have it as optional equipment.
How Do I Turn Off the Lights on a Ford Taurus?
To deactivate the auto lamps or switch off the headlights, use the information display menu or turn the lighting control switch from auto lamps or headlamps off.
Make sure to also read our article about Ford Taurus and keys.
How Do I Turn Off the Ford Taurus’ Trunk Light?
The trunk light of the Taurus should go off automatically when the trunk is closed. If it doesn’t, then you need to check if the lock clips properly.
If the lock clips and the light is still on, it is likely that the lock sensor of your Taurus trunk light might be faulty. Contact your dealer to have it checked.
How Does the Auto Light Sensitivity Work?
When the ambient light is low and there is no traffic present, the light sensitivity system will automatically turn on your high beams.
The light sensors measure ambient light and turn on the headlights when the darkness outside the car reaches a preset threshold.
Can I Use Headlight Covers On a Taurus?
The Taurus uses a headlight cover, which gives the headlights a cool appearance at night. It also serves as a protective frame for the headlights.
Note that some jurisdictions don’t allow the use of headlight covers. So, check their legality in your area before buying.
Also read our article about the Ford Taurus in snow and winter driving.
The Dome/Interior Light Isn’t Working
If your dome light is not working, the first step is to check the bulb, then the dimmer switch.
Check the fuse if the bulb and dimmer switch are fine. If the fuse is faulty, replace it and test the dome light.
Ford Taurus Light Sensors Explained
Ford mounted a camera sensor behind the windshield of the Taurus. The camera sensor monitors the light conditions to decide when to switch the high beams off and on.
Once the sensor is active, the high beams will switch on if:
- The ambient light level is low enough that high beams are needed.
- There is no traffic in front of the vehicle.
- Your Taurus speed is greater than 25 mph (40 km/h).
- Severe weather is not detected.
Do Ford Taurus Have LED Lights?
The Taurus has LED lights. Starting from 2011, the center mount light uses LED lights.
In 2013, Ford changed the taillight of the Taurus to LED lights.
The Lights Come On But the Car Won’t Start
When the light comes on, that shows the battery is working fine. If your battery is in perfect condition but your starter is still silent and the vehicle won’t even click, it could be a bad ignition switch.
If the warning lights on your dashboard won’t light up and your battery is good and the connections are fine, it is likely the ignition switch is faulty. Contact your dealer to have it checked.
A weak battery may also be the culprit.