The Ford Ranger is the little brother to the formidable F-150 truck.
It was designed for use on the pavement, although it offers decent off-roading capabilities,
The Ranger has a sophisticated lighting system that makes driving on and off-road worthwhile.
This article will take you through all necessary things you need to know about the Ranger’s lighting system.
Table of Contents
Which Light Bulbs Sizes and Types Do Ford Ranger Use?
Here is a list of the light bulbs the Ford Ranger uses:
Rangers from 1999 to 2011 use the 9007 bulb for high beam and low beam headlights.
From 2019 to 2020, the headlight bulb high beam (with LED headlights) uses LED, while the headlight bulb high beam (with halogen headlight) uses bulb 9005.
Headlight bulb low beam (with LED headlights) uses LED, while headlight bulb high beam (with halogen headlights) uses H11.
Front Fog Light
The Ranger from 1999 to 2000 uses front fog light bulb number 9006. From 2001 to 2011, the Ranger used bulb 9145.
The 2019 to 2020 Ranger front fog light (with LED headlights) used LED bulbs, while the fog light (with halogen headlights) uses the H11/H16 LED bulbs.
Center Mounted Light
The Ranger models from 1999 to 2004 center high mount stop light uses bulb number 912.
From 2005 to 2011, the center high mount stop light bulb is 922.
The 2019 to 2020 center mounted light (with LED headlight) uses LED, while the center mounted light (with halogen headlights) uses 912.
Rangers from 1999 to 2004 use brake light bulb 3157R. From 2005 to 2011, the brake light bulb was 4157R.
From 2019 to 2020, the brake light bulb (with LED headlights) uses LED, while brake light bulb (with halogen headlights) uses 7443R.
Rangers from 1999 to 2004 use taillight bulb 3157R. From 2005 to 2011, the brake light bulb number is 4157R.
From 2019 to 2020, the Ranger’s taillight bulb (with LED headlights) uses LED while taillight bulb (with halogen headlights) uses 7443R.
How to Replace a Headlight Bulb on a Ford Ranger?
The first thing you need to do is to get a suitable bulb for your Ranger year and model.
No tools needed, just follow these five basic steps:
- Open the hood,
- Locate the back of the headlight,
- Remove the bulb cover,
- Remove the faulty bulb and replace with a new one without touching the surface,
- Replace the bulb cover.
How to Turn Off Daytime Running Lights on a Ford Ranger?
To turn off the lights on your Ranger, look to the left of the steering wheel and locate the daytime running light control.
Please also read our article about the Ford Ranger and keys.
Ford Ranger Light indicator Symbols Explained
There are many warning lights and indicators on the dashboard of the Ford Ranger that help you monitor the vehicle’s performance. The color of the light shows the severity of the malfunction.
Red lights mostly inform you about severe malfunctions in the vehicle that need immediate action. Yellow light is a mild case but do not delay in fixing it, or it will harm your vehicle. Green and white lights show headlights and directions indicators, etc.
Here are some common Ranger Dashboard Indicator Lights:
- Brake Warning Light: Shows a red brake sign on the dashboard. This light shows that there is a malfunction in the brake system. Driving with this light on is a significant risk; it can lead to a brake failure leading to an accident. In such a situation, park your Ranger and get it fixed as soon as possible.
- Electric Parking Brake: When a sign P embedded in a circle within a bracket pops up, this signifies an error in the electric parking brake system. The red symbol means you should take your Ranger for immediate service.
- Engine Oil Pressure Light: The red warning light shows an engine oil funnel sign. This signifies low engine oil pressure. When you see these signs, switch off the car and check the engine oil. Continuous driving with the light on can damage the engine.
- Battery Charge Warning Light: It shows a red battery sign. When this light pops up, stop the engine and turn off all the unnecessary electrical equipment. This signifies that the battery is malfunctioning or there is a problem with the electrical system of the vehicle. Driving while this red warning light is on could drain the battery.
- Engine Coolant Temperature Warning Light: This light comes up when the temperature of the engine coolant is higher than usual or the engine coolant temperature sensor is faulty. If there is a corresponding rise in the temperature gauge, pull over and let the engine cool off.
- ABS Warning Light: This light illuminates when there is a problem in the Anti-Lock brake system. You can continue to drive carefully because the brakes will work without ABS, but you need to get the ABS checked by an authorized dealer as soon as possible.
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Warning Light: When low tire pressure is detected, a yellow exclamation light pops up. Park as soon as possible and check the air pressure of your tire.
- Low Fuel Warning Light: Shows a yellow pump sign which signifies low fuel. Stop at the nearest filling station and refill the tank as soon as possible.
- Engine Check Warning Light: This light comes on when the vehicle detects a malfunction or damage in the engine. Minor issues can also trigger the Check Engine light, but investigate and resolve the problem as soon as possible.
How Do You Adjust the Light on a Ford Ranger?
Here is how to adjust the headlights on your Ford Ranger:
- Park your Ranger on a level ground 25 feet away from a wall.
- Make sure you have the correct tire pressure.
- Check to see if there is no heavy load in the car.
- Measure the distance from ground to middle of your Ranger projector or reflector headlight bulb.
- Mark it on the wall and make another mark that’s 1.5 inches to 2 inches lower.
- For the upper cutoff of your headlight, locate the screw and adjust. It is recommended to adjust the driver’s side first.
- After adjusting, check if the driver’s side headlight is parallel to the car. Adjust if necessary.
- Measure center-to-center distance of the projectors or headlight bulb and mark on the wall.
- Adjust passenger headlight if necessary.
Make sure to also read our article about the Ford Ranger in snow and winter driving.
Does Ford Ranger Have Automatic Headlamps?
The Ranger has automatic headlights. But not every Ranger model year is equipped with auto lamps.
Older model years probably have it as optional equipment.
How Do I Turn Off the Lights on a Ford Ranger?
To turn off light on your Ranger, use the headlight control knob on the right side of the steering.
Turn the knob from auto/on to off to switch off the light.
How Do I Turn Off the Ford Ranger Cargo Light?
The Ford Ranger Cargo light can only be switched off automatically.
When on motion at the speed of about 3mph, the cargo light gradually turns off.
How Does the Auto Light Sensitivity Work?
The Ranger’s automatic light sensitivity switches on the headlight automatically in low light condition.
What Can Cause the Drive Light to Blink?
A faulty transmission system can cause the drive light to blink.
The fault can be tackled by visiting a transmission shop for a thorough checkup.
Also check out our article about how long the Ford Ranger lasts.
Can I Use Headlight Covers On a Ranger?
You can use a headlight cover for your Ranger.
But make sure it is legal to use it in your state as some places prohibit the use because headlight covers reduce light intensity.
The Dome/Interior Light Isn’t Working
The first step is to check the bulb, then the dimmer switch.
A faulty switch can also cause the dome/interior light not to work.
Ford Ranger Light Sensors Explained
The Ranger light sensor works by detecting changes in brightness in the surroundings and automatically switches on the headlights.
Do Ford Ranger Have LED Lights
The 2019 Ranger uses LED lights. Subsequent model years also come with LED lights.
The Lights Come on But the Car Won’t Start
The lights show that the Ranger battery still has some charge. However, it might not have enough current to operate the ignition or starter.
It can also be that either the starter or the ignition is faulty. Contact your mechanic or dealer to diagnose the problem and fix it.