Bentley, a renowned British luxury car brand, has displayed impressive demographic numbers and statistics throughout its storied history.
Founded in 1910 and now a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group, Bentley has experienced significant growth in recent years.
This article will dive deep into the demographic numbers and stats behind Bentley’s success, shedding light on the clientele that continues to propel the brand toward greater heights.
Table of Contents
General Facts About Bentley Motors
Let’s start with a list of interesting facts about the famous Bentley Motors brand.
- Bentley Motors was founded in 1919 by W.O. Bentley.
- The company is headquartered in Crewe, England.
- Bentley Motors is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG.
- The company employs over 4,000 people.
- Bentley Motors operates in 67 different markets and has 239 retail partners.
- In 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic and a seven-week factory lockdown, Bentley delivered 11,206 cars to customers, the highest figure in the company’s 101-year history.
- Bentley’s global head of communications and marketing, Wayne Bruce, stated that the company’s typical customer is male, in his early 50s, and has a net worth of over $10 million.
- The company’s most popular model is the Bentley Continental GT.
- Bentley Motors has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans six times.
- The company’s founder, W.O. Bentley, once said, “I have always wanted to produce a car that would be a delight for a connoisseur to own and drive”.
- In 2018, Bentley Motors made €1.55 billion in revenues.
Bentley vehicles are well-suited for those who appreciate luxury, performance, and a certain level of prestige.
We estimate the typical Bentley owner to be 35-60 years.
Historically, luxury cars have been predominantly driven by men, but over the years car brands, including Bentley, have seen an increasing number of female buyers.
We estimate that 60-70% of Bentley car owners are male.
Given the high price point and exclusivity of Bentley vehicles, it is expected that owners have a considerable income level.
Let’s consider the price of a new or slightly used Bentley Continental GT, which starts at around $200,000.
Assuming a down payment of 20% ($40,000) and financing the remaining $160,000 over 5 years at an interest rate of 4%, your monthly payment would be approximately $2,950. Over a year, that’s about $35,400.
Now, let’s consider other costs such as:
- and taxes.
These can vary greatly, but we can roughly estimate an additional $10,000 to $15,000 per year for these expenses.
Combining the car payment and additional costs, you would need to allocate approximately $45,000 to $50,000 per year to afford a Bentley Continental GT.
As a rule of thumb, your car expenses should not exceed 15% of your annual gross income.
Based on this, you would need to earn a minimum of $300,000 to $333,333 per year before taxes to afford a Bentley comfortably.
What is the average net worth of a Bentley buyer?
While there is no specific data on the average net worth of a Bentley buyer, it can be assumed that they possess a significant net worth, often in the millions.
A common recommendation is that no more than 5% of your net worth should be tied up in luxury or exotic vehicles. Based on this guideline, if we still consider the price of a new or slightly used Bentley Continental GT at around $200,000, the minimum estimated net worth of a Bentley owner would be:
$200,000 ÷ 0.05 = $4,000,000
This suggests that a Bentley owner should have a net worth of at least $4 million to maintain a balanced financial portfolio.
What Kind of Person Drives a Bentley?
Bentley drivers are typically:
- successful C-level executives,
- and other affluent individuals who value luxury.
They may also have a preference for British craftsmanship and storied automotive heritage.
Famous People Who Drives a Bentley
Many celebrities and high-profile individuals have been known to own or drive Bentley vehicles.
Here is a list of some famous people who have been spotted driving Bentleys:
- LeBron James – Professional basketball player
- Kim Kardashian – Reality TV star and entrepreneur
- Paris Hilton – Socialite, actress, and businesswoman
- David Beckham – Retired professional footballer and model
- Lord Sugar – British businessman and star of the UK’s “The Apprentice”
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Professional footballer
- Jay-Z – Rapper, producer, and entrepreneur
- Floyd Mayweather – Retired professional boxer
- Soulja Boy – Rapper and producer
- Ludacris – Rapper and actor
Bentley operates in 67 different markets worldwide, with major demand in the Americas and China.
In 2021, Bentley Motors’ global sales increased by 31%, with 14,569 cars delivered worldwide.
The Bentayga was their top-selling model:
What U.S. State has Most Bentley Cars?
States with higher concentrations of luxury car owners, such as:
- New York,
- and Florida.
They also have higher populations of Bentley drivers due to the economic affluence and lifestyle preferences in those areas.
What Other Car Brands Target the Same Demographics as Bentley?
As a luxury car brand, Bentley shares its target market with several other high-end automobile manufacturers.
These companies aim to attract wealthy buyers who value exclusivity, cutting-edge features, and unparalleled craftsmanship. The demographic typically includes high-net-worth individuals, celebrities, and successful entrepreneurs.
Here are a few other car brands that target the same demographics as Bentley:
|Car Brand||Car Price Range|
|Rolls-Royce||$300,000 – $450,000|
|Lamborghini||$200,000 – $500,000|
|Ferrari||$200,000 – $400,000|
|Aston Martin||$120,000 – $300,000|
|Maserati||$75,000 – $150,000|
|Bentley||$170,000 – $330,000|
Bentley’s target demographic appreciates not only the luxurious features and stylish designs of these vehicles but also the status and prestige associated with owning such brands.
While each brand has its unique characteristics and appeal, they all share the ability to attract consumers who appreciate exclusivity and high-quality craftsmanship.
Global Market Share
|Car Brand||Global Sales in 2021|
In 2021, Bentley Motors achieved significant growth in global sales, with a 31% increase, reaching 14,569 cars delivered worldwide.
This significant growth was achieved due to their flagship models, such as the Bentayga, which became their top-selling model.
Regional Market Share
The Americas and China were notably the most crucial markets for Bentley in 2021. The brand operates in 67 different markets, collaborating with about 239 retail partners. Despite the challenging conditions brought by the COVID-19 pandemic, Bentley managed to deliver 11,206 cars to customers globally in 2020, marking the highest figure in the company’s 101-year history.
It is essential to note that Bentley has a strong presence in affluent regions of China, which showcases the brand’s continued focus on luxury car segments.
This focus has helped the brand achieve a significant market share in these regions.
In summary, Bentley Motors continues to make strides in maintaining and expanding its market share globally, primarily focusing on its top-performing markets and further strengthening its brand presence in lucrative luxury car segments.
Popular Bentley Models
Here is the Continental model:
In 2022, the carmaker reported a sale of 14,659 vehicles, a 31% jump over the previous record set in 2020. These numbers signify a slow recovery of the global automotive industry after the COVID-19 pandemic.
Part of Bentley’s success can be attributed to its strong order book for Hybrid and Extended Wheelbase (EWB) models. The company’s presence in 67 different markets and partnerships with 239 retail partners also contribute to its accomplishments.
The following table presents the estimated sales numbers for popular Bentley models:
The Luxury SUV Bentayga remains the best-selling Bentley model.
- Bentley Newsroom: https://www.bentleymedia.com/en/company/facts-and-figures
- Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremyalicandri/2021/09/30/bentley-gets-serious-about-diversity/
- Top Gear: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/bentley/continental-gt
- Bentley Motors: https://www.bentleymotors.com/en/world-of-bentley/the-bentley-story.html
- Statista: https://www.statista.com/topics/5271/bentley-a-british-luxury-car-brand/