Bumper stickers can be a great way to express oneself or support a cause or movement, but what happens when they begin to get faded or rather lose their appeal?
While peeling or scrapping them off might seem to be the easiest solution, it can leave behind a sticky residue or may even damage the surface of your car’s bumper.
We will explore some of the best and easiest techniques for removing baked-on stickers in this article to restore your vehicle’s pristine appearance.
1. Use a Hair Dryer or Heat Gun
One of the most effective ways to remove baked-on stickers is to apply dry heat to the sticker. This is because heat softens the adhesive, mostly used in making such stickers.
Below is how effectively to remove baked-on stickers with heat.
• Put the hair dryer or heat gun in its hottest setting and hold it 15cm from the bumper sticker as holding it too close to the surface may melt the paint of the car.
• Heat up the middle section of the sticker before moving the heater to the edges.
• Move the heating device back and forth instead of keeping it in one place to avoid damage on the surface.
• Stop applying heat if you see the edges of the sticker lifting up on their own.
• Peel off the sticker completely and use a damp cloth to clean its surface.
While it’s great to know the best methods for removing bumper stickers, it’s also imperative to know the ways not to remove bumper stickers.
2. Applying Steam Loosens the Adhesive
Steam is also one of the fastest and most effective ways of removing stickers on any surface, especially cars. It allows the removal of adhesives at one time by distributing wet heat evenly across the entire surface.
Here’s how to properly apply steam in removing bumper stickers.
• Hold the steamer at a distance of 15cm to avoid damaging the car’s surface for 30–50 seconds.
• Move the steamer across the edges slowly until the edges become loose.
• Remove the sticker entirely and clean the surface using a damp cotton cloth.
3. Use an Adhesive Remover for Trickier Bumper Stickers
An adhesive remover is ideal for removing stickers on delicate surfaces without using heat or steam.
Goo Gone is a popular and recommended adhesive remover that works well on all surfaces without fading your car’s paint or leaving a sticky residue.
• Apply the adhesive remover on the sticker and let it sit for 5 minutes to properly saturate.
• After the adhesive remover must have worked its way into the sticker, pull it off slowly.
• If the sticker isn’t coming off, apply the adhesive remover and allow it to sit for a few minutes, and try removing it again.
• Using a microfiber towel damp with an alcohol-based cleanser, wipe off the extra sticky residue from the surface of the car after the removal of the sticker.
It’s always advised to read the instructions on the type of adhesive remover you are using and follow them strictly.
4. Applying White Vinegar Breaks the Bonds of the Adhesive
White vinegar is a powerful cleaning agent due to its acidic content. This solution can clean a variety of surfaces without damaging their appearance.
Follow the steps below to effectively remove baked-on bumper stickers.
• Soak a soft cloth in distilled white vinegar and place it on the sticker you’d want to remove for a few minutes so its adhesive would dissolve.
• You can also spray diluted white vinegar generously on the baked-on bumper sticker.
• Slowly lift up the sticker until it completely comes off and cleans the surface with a damp cloth to get rid of its sticky residue and excess white vinegar.
5. Spray WD-40 on the Baked-On Bumper Sticker To Remove It Easily
This multi-use cleanser is designed to loosen bonds by penetrating porous layers and using its lubricating properties to loosen them.
Evenly coat the sticker with WD-40 until the entire surface is covered.
• Let this sit for 5 to 10 minutes to properly saturate.
• Using a soft cloth or sponge, clean off the sticker from the surface of the car.
• Run over the surface again using a damp cotton towel to clean off the multi-use cleanser completely.
6. Make Use of a Plastic Scraper to Peel It Off
Removing baked-on stickers can be quite challenging, but with the right techniques, it would take a few minutes for them to come off effortlessly without leaving marks or scratches on the car.
• Using a plastic scrapper, start at one corner and gently lift the sticker.
• Whilst applying mild pressure, continue peeling it off.
• Use warm soapy water to wash the surface of the car when the sticker completely comes off to get rid of any sticky residue.
Meanwhile, you should also know the easiest methods of removing vinyl bumper stickers.
7. Apply Sodium Bicarbonate To Neutralize the Adhesive
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, can be an effective way to remove stickers and adhesive residue from surfaces.
When baking soda is mixed with water, it creates a slightly alkaline paste which can help to neutralize the acid in the adhesive, making it easier to remove.
• Mix a small amount of baking soda with water to create a paste.
• Apply the paste to the baked-on sticker and let it sit for a few minutes.
• Use a cloth or sponge to scrub the area in a circular motion gently.
• Rinse the area with water and dry with a clean cloth or clean it with a damp cotton towel.
Depending on the strength of the adhesive and how long it has been on the surface, you may need to repeat the process a few times to completely remove the sticker.
8. Use Ice Cubes to Break the Molecular Bonds of the Sticker
Ice can be helpful in removing baked-on bumper stickers, but it may not work in all cases as ice reacts differently on different surfaces.
The cold temperature of the ice causes the adhesive on the sticker to become less sticky and more brittle, making it easier to scrape off.
• Place a bag of ice or a cold pack over the sticker for several minutes to cool the area.
• Then, use a plastic scraper to lift the edge of the sticker gently and peel it off.
• You may need to reapply the ice and repeat the process several times to remove the entire sticker.
Removing bumper stickers from a car’s bumper can be a hassle. However, the steps above should help lift such stickers from the surface of your car without tainting its appearance.
It’s also important to note that these methods may not work for all types of bumper stickers and may damage the paint on your car if not done carefully.
Therefore, exercise caution and take your time whilst applying the methods mentioned above to avoid damaging your car’s finish.
HOW TO REMOVE CAR DECALS WITHOUT DAMAGING PAINT | Accurate Signs