The removable seat is a must-have feature in cars, especially for travelers who need additional luggage space on long journeys or for owners to access the floor of their vehicles when cleaning.
Table of Contents
However, this feature is not common in vehicles as most only offer seats that can fold or fold flat.
Join us as we explore cars that offer removable seats in this article. We explored how easily users can remove them, and the amount of space they offer after removal.
1. Chrysler Pacifica
The 2023 Pacifica is a minivan that offers Stow ‘n Go seats. We also have a post on 10 popular cars that offer adjustable back seats, in case you’d like to know.
However, the Pacifica Touring L trim offers second-row quad seats as optional. Opting for these seats allows users to remove them easily from the vehicle for more space or access to the floor.
To remove, owners should
- Move the front seats forward
- Then, move the quad seat that needs removal back, and fold its seat back down.
The next step is to
- Look for the release strap at the front, which is close to the floor
- Then pull it to remove the rear latches
- You can then tilt the back of the seat forward and remove it from its spot
For easier lifting of the seat, you can grip the front of the cushion with one hand and the bar on the backside with the other.
To reinstall the chair, it is important to align the seat’s attachments with the detent positions on the floor while tilting the seat forward
However, if equipped, be cautious not to damage the heated seat connector during the process.
You can check out the video Chrysler provided on removing and installing the quad seats in the 2023 Pacifica for more concise information.
The standard Stow ‘n Go second-row seating offers a maximum cargo capacity of 140.5 cubic feet when owners fold the third row and remove the second-row seats.
2. Chrysler Voyager
The 2023 Voyager is a seven-seater minivan that offers enough standard features.
The LX model offers a second row with quad seats that are removable as standard.
Just like the 2023 Chrysler Pacifica, removing and reinstalling the Voyager’s quad seats is easy and takes the same procedure. You can check out the information we provided for the Chrysler Pacifica above.
The storage space for the 2023 Voyager measures 140 cubic feet when owners fold the third row and remove the second-row seats. We’ve also talked about popular cars with swivel bucket seats.
3. Mazda CX-5
The 2023 CX-5 is a two-row compact SUV with one of the nicest interiors in its category. The Mazda CX-5 has removable rear seats for those who need more cargo space or would like to gain access to the floor of their vehicle.
However, note that removing the rear seats in your CX-5 requires some precautions, as the seats do not support regular removal.
This precaution includes handling the seats with care and ensuring there is a second person during the procedure, according to Mazda.
We recommend that consulting a legalized Mazda dealership for installation or removal of the seat might be the best choice where owners lack the right skills to remove them.
To remove the seats, first
- Remove the headrest
- Then disconnect the remote cable on the side of the remote handle lever from the remote cable on the side of the back seat
- Afterward, tilt the folded seat forward to access the Torx nuts holding the seats
- Unscrew the nuts at the back of the seats and from the front using the bolt bits
- Then free the seats and remove them
The reinstallation, however, involves delicate steps.
For more information on how to carry out the procedure, we recommend you consult your owner’s manual. The 2023 CX-5 offers 59.3 cubic feet of storage space after removing/folding the rear seats.
4. Honda Pilot
The 2023 Pilot is a three-row SUV for family use.
It comes with a removable middle seat in the second row only. Note that this feature is only available in the Touring and Elite trim levels to seat up to 8 passengers.
Would you like to know about the 8 cars with big middle seats?.
The pilot’s middle seat is quite easy to remove. Steps include
- Folding the seat back down using the designated strap
- There is a release strap under the seat cushion to pull for the release of the seat from its anchor
- After pulling, lift the seat by grabbing the handle at its rear, then pull slightly and pivot forward for easy lifting
For more space, you can fold the non-removable seats in the second and third rows flat. The Honda Pilot has 114.3 cubic feet of space when owners fold the third and second rows.
5. Kia Carnival
The 2021 Kia Carnival is a minivan with three rows. Kia replaced the Sedona with the Carnival after it discontinued it in 2021.
However, it is one of the few vehicles that offer removable seats in the second row, except for the trim level that offers the VIP Lounge seats. The removal procedure is simple.
- The headrest to be in the lowest position and users to slide the seat into the most forward position
- Then, fold the seat using the recliner lever for the outer rear seats, or the release strap for the middle seat
- There is a removal lever at the bottom rear of the seats
- You simply have to pull on it to remove the seat from its anchors and out of the vehicle
Putting the seat back is also easy as you only need to
- Ensure the hooks go into the car’s right tracks for reinstallation
- Note that a green dot light will come on after successfully reinstalling the seats
For in-depth information, you can check out the YouTube videos on how to remove and reinstall the seats in your Kia Carnival.
With the third row folded and the second row removed, the 2022 Kia Carnival offers 86.9 cubic feet of space for storage.
6. Dodge Grand Caravan
This minivan offers a roomy cabin and practical seats owners will find helpful despite its limitations in cabin materials and technology features.
It also offers rear seats the owners can remove easily if they stow it, but can not remove easily from the car entirely.
Stowing the seat requires that owners
- Use the tailgate to access the back of the bench seat
- Then pull the lever on the bench seat’s left side to fold the seat down
- The next step is to pull the carpeted floor up from behind the seat
- Then pull the folded seats upward using the black strap on the seat’s back
Afterward, you will
- Fold the seat onto the floor using the reclining lever on the side of the bucket seats
- Depressing the lever will fold the seat forward
- Then you can pull the floorboard up in front of the seat after releasing the lever
To store the chair in the floorboard, next on the list is to
- Pull the release clasp first
- Then move the seat forward
To remove completely from the car, however, you may consider the YouTube videos available on how to carry out the procedure. However, it mainly involves removing a few bolts that secure the seat to the car.
The 2019 Caravan offers 140.3 cubic feet of space with the second row folded and the third removed.
7. Renault Scenic
The 2016 Scenic features a long list of standard safety features. This vehicle offers practicality for family use and is easy to drive.
For more space or access to the floor, owners can remove the front and rear seats in the 2016 Scenic easily. However, newer models offer a more challenging process.
Removing the seats requires that owners
- Fold down the backseats using the lever in the back of the seat
- Then, tilt it upward and lift the handle while pushing the seat down gently
- This removes the seat and you can then store it in the trunk or out of the car
Reinstalling the seats involves fitting the seat flat on the floor and positioning the hook opposite the arrow label on it.
You can refer to your car manual for more information on how to remove and reinstall the car seat in your 2016 Scenic.
Removing the rear seats in the 2016 Scenic increases the storage space to 1,837 liters of space, which is equivalent to 64.9 cubic feet.
If you need cars with more trunk space, then check this article on the 20 SUVs with the most trunk space.