The Ford Escape offers excellent handling across a variety of driving situations.
Aside from its flexibility, its comfortable seats, and multiple driver-assistance features give the Escape an advantage over its rivals.
This article will explore Ford Escape’s keys.
Table of Contents
Ford Key Fob Buttons, Functions, and Tricks.
Most Ford Escape key fobs have three buttons: Lock, Unlock, and Panic.
- Pressing the Lock button locks the door of your Ford Escape.
- Drivers use the Unlock button to open the vehicle’s doors
- The Panic button lets drivers set off their emergency alert button to scare thieves away or find their car in a crowded park.
If you are far away from your vehicle when someone tries to steal your vehicle, you may not reach the car in time. Activating the emergency alert system can draw attention to the car and the thief and drive the robber away from your vehicle.
If several Ford Escape cars are in a park, you might find it difficult to recognize your vehicle. An alarm system will help you identify your Ford Escape car quickly.
You should also check out this article about Ford Transits and the key system.
How Much Does an Extra Ford Escape Key Fob Cost?
Usually, an extra Ford Escape essential costs between $150 and $340. However, some factors may determine the actual amount you pay for your Ford Escape key:
- The model year: Ford increases their special security features with each model year. As a result, the value of their vehicle’s keys rises over time. So, buying a replacement key for a 2017 Ford Escape model will most likely cost higher than a 2010 Ford Escape replacement key.
- Type of key: Ford Escape has different kinds of keys, such as transponder keys, remote keys, and intelligent keys. Some of these key types are more expensive than others. For instance, Ford Escape metal key fobs are often cheaper than Ford Escape transponder keys.
- The time you purchase the key: Most locksmiths and Ford dealers often charge an extra fee when drivers purchase keys after business hours. If you buy your replacement key in the evening, you may need to pay more than the actual price.
- Where you buy the extra key: You can choose to buy your spare key online, at a dealership, or from a locksmith. That said, it costs more money to buy a spare key at a dealership. The cheapest place to buy a Ford Escape replacement key is an online retail store.
- Key code availability: If you lose your keys, you can find your key code in your Ford Escape owner’s manual. What if you have also misplaced the manual? Then, you need to go to a certified Honda dealership and request your original key code from the dealer. The dealer will provide you with the code, but they may charge you for this service before cutting you a replacement key.
Please also read our article about the Ford Escape and lights.
My Escape Car Key is Not Detected
If you see the ‘No Key Detected’ message on your Ford Escape when you insert your key into the ignition, your key battery might be faulty. Change your Ford Escape key battery once you see this message.
The appropriate key battery for your Ford Escape key is CR2032.
After you replace your key battery, lock and unlock your doors with your key to reset your Ford Escape anti-theft system. Insert your key into the ignition again to start the car.
If you still get the ‘No Key Detected’ message when you restart your vehicle, there might be a problem with your ignition. To solve this issue, ask a dealer to diagnose the problem or borrow a diagnostic tool from your auto-repairer to determine the fault.
Which Batteries Do Ford Escape Keys Use?
Ford Escape keys use 3-volt CR2032 batteries. These batteries are available at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and online stores like Amazon.
Can You Change Your Ford Escape Key Battery Yourself?
You don’t need the help of an expert to replace your Ford Escape key battery.
Here’s a guide to replace your key battery:
- Slide the switch on the back of your key fob to the right to remove your Ford Escape metal key.
- Insert the narrow end of your Escape ignition key into the notch on the left side of your key fob. This will pull the pieces of your key fob apart.
- Now, remove the back of your key fob.
- Take out the dead battery and replace it with the new battery.
- Ensure that the positive side of your battery is facing down.
- Rearrange the pieces of your key fob.
- You may need to reprogram your key after changing the battery.
What to Do When Your Ford Escape is Stuck in the Ignition
If you switch off your engine while turning your steering wheel, your steering wheel may lock up. As a result, your Ford Escape key might get stuck in the ignition.
To remove your key, put your car in park. Then, jiggle your steering wheel and try turning your key at the same time.
Repeat this process until your key feels loose in the ignition. This will unlock your steering wheel. Now, you can remove your key easily.
Also check that the car is not in drive. If you use an automatic transmission and turn off the ignition without putting it in Park, the key will likely get stuck.
Make sure to also read our article about 3 common Ford Escape problems.
3 Popular Ford Escape Key Fob Covers
Here are 3 popular Ford Escape key fob covers you can get on Amazon:
- SEGADEN Silicone Key Fob Cover
- USARemote Keyless Entry Key Fob Cover
- RpKey Silicone Keyless Entry Remote Control Key Fob Cover
How to Find the Key Code for Lost Ford Escape Keys
There are several ways to find your Ford Escape key code if you lose your keys:
- Your owner’s manual: You can locate your key code in your Ford Escape owner’s manual. Your key code is the factory default code in the owner’s manual.
- Your Remote Anti-theft (RAP) Module: Locate your Remote Anti-theft module on the left panel near the back of your vehicle. Your Ford Escape key code is the factory code on the label of the RAP module.
- At a Ford dealership: In case your vehicle is old, and the factory code on your RAP module has faded, you can ask your Ford dealer for the code. The dealer will give you the code once you can prove ownership of the vehicle.
What to Do if My Ford Escape Key Won’t Turn
Your Ford Escape key may not turn for the following reasons:
- Your ignition key is faulty: If you can’t turn your key when you insert it into the ignition, your Ford Escape key might be defective.
- Your steering wheel is locked: Your steering wheel may lock if you move it after you switch off your engine. To unlock your steering, wiggle your steering wheel and turn your key continuously until your key loosens up in the ignition.
- The battery is dead: If your car battery is dead, the key might not turn in the ignition.
- Wrong Transmission Mode: If you use an automatic transmission, the key won’t turn if the car is not in Park or Neutral.
Also read our article about how long the Ford Escape lasts.
My Key Won’t Go in the Ignition
As you take your vehicle on trips, dirt may pile up in the ignition. With time, the debris may pile up in the ignition, blocking the entry of your key.
If your ignition is jammed, your key may not go into the ignition when you try to insert it.
Try inserting and pulling your key out of the ignition repeatedly. This will clear up the dirt in the ignition. Once you remove the dirt, you should be able to insert the whole key into the ignition.
A broken ignition cylinder can also prevent the key from gaining entry. The same is true for a bent or crooked key.
What to Do if the Keys Are Locked in My Ford Escape
There are several ways to unlock a Ford Escape if the keys are locked inside. You can use a car door wedge and wire hanger, look for an extra key or, in worse case scenarios, get a locksmith to open the car.
That said, it is very difficult to lock a Ford key in the car these days as most models come with a remote key.
The remote key won’t allow you to lock the vehicle if the key is inside the car.
Ford Escape MyKey Explained
The MyKey feature in your Ford Escape lets you control your vehicle’s safety settings with your key. Drivers use MyKey to manage a teenager’s driving habits. Some of the options in the MyKey feature include:
- Maximum speed limit
- Seatbelt alert
- Set radio volume limit
Check your owner’s manual for more on how to set a MyKey for your Ford Escape.