The Nissan Navara has been a popular pickup truck for many years, offering versatility, durability, and style.
Table of Contents
However, like any other vehicle, some model years have performed better than others.
Whether you’re in the market for a used Navara or just curious about the vehicle’s history, this article will delve into the best and worst Nissan Navara years.
The Best and Worst Years for Nissan Navara Are:
The best and most reliable model years for the Nissan Navara are 2005-2007, 2009-2010, and 2015 – owing to their high-reliability ratings and advanced features. On the other hand, consumers should avoid the 2006, 2013, and 2016 model years due to engine problems and safety recalls.
What Nissan Navara Years Are the Most Reliable?
When it comes to purchasing a pickup truck, reliability is a top priority for most buyers.
Fortunately, the Nissan Navara has a reputation for being a dependable vehicle that can handle a wide range of tasks.
In this section, we will take a closer look at the Nissan Navara years that have been the most reliable, based on statistics and real-world examples.
2005 – 2007 Nissan Navara
The 2005-2007 Nissan Navara is generally regarded as a reliable and well-built pickup truck. It received positive reviews from both consumers and critics, who praised its durability, versatility, and off-road capabilities.
Nissan Navaras from this period were well equipped with excellent build quality and durability, some of its biggest strengths.
The engine and transmission are generally considered very reliable, and owners have reported few issues with these components.
Additionally, the suspension is also durable and can withstand heavy use, making it suitable for off-road driving. However, some owners have reported minor issues with electrical components, such as the power windows or air conditioning, but these are relatively rare.
The Navara has also received positive reviews from owners, who appreciate its:
The pickup truck is comfortable to drive, with a spacious cabin and well-designed interior. Its towing capacity and cargo space also make it a practical choice for those needing a vehicle for work and recreation.
Overall, the 2005-2007 Nissan Navara is considered to be a reliable and versatile pickup truck that offers a good balance of performance and practicality.
2009 – 2010 Nissan Navara
The 2009-2010 Nissan Navara is considered to be one of the more reliable and well-regarded model years of this pickup truck.
Here’s a closer look at its reliability and consumer satisfaction reviews:
- Reliability: According to Consumer Reports, the 2009-2010 Navara has above-average reliability scores. These model years received a score of 4 out of 5 in the reliability category, which is a positive sign for any used vehicle.
- Consumer Satisfaction: Many owners praise the Navara’s powerful engine, comfortable interior, and off-road capabilities. However, some owners have reported issues with rust and corrosion, which can be a concern for vehicles used in areas with harsh weather conditions.
The 2009-2010 Navara is also known for its safety features, including front and side airbags, anti-lock brakes, and stability control.
These safety features help to make the Navara a good choice for families and those who prioritize safety in their vehicles.
Overall, the 2009-2010 Nissan Navara is a reliable and well-regarded pickup truck that has received positive reviews from both consumers and experts – making it a good choice for those who need a capable and reliable vehicle for work or play.
2015 Nissan Navara
The 2015 Nissan Navara is a mid-size pickup truck that has received positive reliability ratings from owners and experts alike.
Consumers, too, have reported high levels of satisfaction with the vehicle’s performance and overall reliability.
Here are a few components that ensure the 2015 Navara is dependable:
- Robust and durable construction: The vehicle features a high-strength steel frame, which is designed to withstand the rigors of heavy-duty use.
- Driving features: The Navara is also equipped with a range of features that make it well-suited for both on-road and off-road driving.
- Reliable engines and transmissions: A choice of diesel engines, including a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and a 3.0-liter V6 engine. Both engines are known for their power and reliability.
- Well-designed suspension system: Provides a smooth and comfortable ride.
- Advanced safety features: Help to prevent accidents and protect passengers in the event of a collision.
While official reliability stats for the 2015 Nissan Navara are unavailable, the vehicle has received high marks in owner surveys and reviews.
In the UK, the Navara was named the “Pickup of the Year” in 2016 ‘What Van?’ Awards and it has consistently ranked highly in the Auto Express Driver Power surveys.
In addition to positive reviews and high owner satisfaction ratings, the 2015 Nissan Navara also benefits from a strong reputation for reliability associated with the Nissan brand.
Nissan is known for producing high-quality and dependable vehicles, and the Navara is no exception.
Overall, the 2015 Nissan Navara is a reliable and durable pickup truck that has received high marks in owner surveys, reviews, and industry awards.
What Nissan Navara Years Should You Avoid?
When it comes to purchasing a used vehicle, it’s essential to do your research and know what to look out for to avoid any potential issues down the road.
In the case of the Nissan Navara, some model years have experienced more problems than others, making them less desirable for those in the market for a used pickup truck.
In this section, we will take a closer look at the Nissan Navara years you should avoid, discussing the specific issues and problems that have plagued these models.
2006 Nissan Navara
The 2006 Nissan Navara has had mixed reviews when it comes to reliability. While many owners have reported positive experiences with the vehicle, others have experienced issues that have led to frustration and costly repairs.
Below are some of the most common issues experienced by 2006 Navara owners:
- Engine: Some owners have reported issues with the timing chain, which can lead to engine failure if not addressed promptly. This issue has been reported in both petrol and diesel engines and can be expensive to repair.
- Gearbox: Owners have reported issues with gear selection, gear stick movement, and other gearbox-related issues that can impact the vehicle’s performance and reliability, particularly with manual transmission.
According to reliability statistics, the 2006 Nissan Navara scored 2.5 out of 5 in the J.D. Power’s Vehicle Dependability Study. This score is below average for the mid-sized pickup truck category.
The 2006 Nissan Navara has also been subject to several recalls, which have been issued to address problems with various components:
- 2009: Nissan issued a recall for over 133,000 Navaras worldwide due to a potential problem with the fuel tank.
- 2013: Nissan also issued a recall for over 20,000 Navaras in Australia due to a potential problem with the front suspension.
While the 2006 Nissan Navara has been a popular pickup truck, it has had its share of reliability issues that have impacted some owners’ experiences.
Issues with the engine, gearbox, and other components, along with below-average reliability ratings and recalls, are factors that potential buyers may want to consider before purchasing a 2006 Navara.
2013 Nissan Navara
The 2013 Nissan Navara is another mid-sized pickup truck that has experienced some reliability issues, according to consumer reports and reliability statistics.
Here are some of the problems that have been reported by owners:
- Engine problems: Some owners have reported problems with the fuel injectors, timing chain, and turbocharger. These problems can lead to poor performance, reduced fuel efficiency, and in some cases, engine failure.
- Transmission issues: The Navara’s manual transmission has been known to have problems with shifting and clutch engagement, which can cause rough shifting, slipping, and other transmission-related issues.
- Electrical problems: Some owners have reported problems with the wiring, sensors, and computer modules. These problems can cause a variety of issues, including warning lights, engine stalling, and other performance issues.
According to reliability statistics, the 2013 Nissan Navara has a below-average reliability rating compared to other mid-sized pickup trucks.
The Navara scored a reliability rating of 2.5 out of 5, based on owner-reported problems over three years.
The 2013 Nissan Navara has also been subject to several recalls, including recalls for:
- Faulty airbags
- Fuel system problems
- Brake issues
These recalls indicate that there have been significant issues with the Navara’s design and manufacturing, which can affect its reliability and safety.
In conclusion, while the 2013 Nissan Navara has some positive features, such as its towing capacity and off-road capabilities, it has also been plagued by reliability issues and should be avoided.
2016 Nissan Navara
In contrast to the 2015 model, the 2016 Nissan Navara has been known to experience several issues related to reliability.
Some of the most common issues reported by owners and experts are related to the following components:
- Diesel engine issues
- High fuel consumption
- Engine oil leaks
- Turbocharger failures
While reliability statistics are mixed, the Navara was the subject of several recalls in 2016 and 2017, including recalls related to airbag and brake issues.
While the 2016 Nissan Navara has some positive features, it has also faced some significant reliability issues that may cause concern for potential buyers.
That said, the presence of unreliable components and the vehicle’s lower-than-average reliability rating and recalls should be carefully considered before making a purchasing decision.
Please also read our article about the best and worst years of the Nissan Primera.
What Are Some Typical Problems With the Nissan Navara Models?
While the Nissan Navara has been a reliable and popular pickup truck, like any other vehicle, it has its fair share of common problems that owners should be aware of.
It is to be expected as 4x4s and pickups often endure more strain compared to regular vehicles.
To aid in the maintenance of your Navara and to better understand potential issues that may arise, below is a list of the most frequent faults that Navara owners have reported.
- Snapped chassis fault
- Transmission cooler fault
- Clutch issues
- Chain and crankshaft problems
For more, please read our article about common problems with Nissan cars.
It’s worth noting that not all Navara models will experience these problems, and many owners have reported trouble-free ownership experiences.
However, it’s important to be aware of these potential issues when shopping for a used Navara or maintaining your current one.
ⓘ The information in this article is based on data from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recall reports, consumer complaints submitted to the NHTSA, reliability ratings from J.D. Power, auto review and rating sites such as Edmunds, specialist forums, etc. We analyzed this data to provide insights into the best and worst years for these vehicle models.